Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thinkpad X61 Tablet

I'm now using a Lenovo Thinkpad X61 Tablet as my main computer at school. So far, I like it a lot. I'm dual booting Windows XP and Kubuntu 8.04. I was able to get the tablet functionality working, with automatic screen rotation (nifty!), using information on the following web page:
http://www.krizka.net/2008/02/13/thinkpad-x61-tablet-automatic-screen-rotation-under-linux/
If you look down at the comments section, there's some information on running on Kubuntu (KDE) instead of Ubuntu (Gnome).

You have to have the "hdaps_ec" module loaded. I put it in my /etc/modules file.

You also have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Here's a link to the one I'm using (caveat emptor):
http://faculty.ycp.edu/~dhovemey/thinkpadX61t/xorg.conf
Finally, the "autorotate.py" script has a regular expression bug (fix is in the comments). Here's the fixed version:
http://faculty.ycp.edu/~dhovemey/thinkpadX61t/autorotate.py
The stylus is not calibrated terribly well, and the Debian/Ubuntu folks somehow forgot to include the utility that calibrates it. However, it works acceptably. I used the Xournal program to jot some notes, and while it's not exactly like writing on paper, it's not bad at all. I may try to use this in class rather than writing on the whiteboard.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Nice, I'm actually in the process of researching and installing Kubuntu on my new X61T i purchased 3 weeks ago.

Check out my blog in a week or so for a few new articles about the tablet and my experience with linux on it.

Check out Basket for tablet functions, I've been reading alot about that as the best alternative to onenote that i've found.

David Hovemeyer said...

Hi Mike - thanks for the info about BasKet. I'll check it out.