- Full-time parenting. This was by far the most interesting and rewarding activity. Eli is now talking up a storm, and Gus is almost walking. I can now sing the themes to Super Why and Dinosaur Train from memory.
- Went to Charlotte to visit the Bridges clan. Lots of fun, but US Airways now on enemies list.
- Vacationed in Dewey Beach, DE with Bridges, Hovemeyer, and Swope families. Good times! However, fantasized about formally suggesting "Drunken Frat Boy, DE" as new name for town.
- Continued work done by YCP undergrads (hi Ray and Brandon!) to create an RTOS for AVR microcontrollers. The kernel is 100% C (no assembly)! Planning to somehow get a SIGCSE or CCSCE paper out of this.
- Successfully programmed a 22V10 GAL, for both combinational and stateful logic. (I need to break down and actually learn about FPGAs sometime.)
- Attended Heisler/Williams wedding reception and Hoyt/Spacco wedding. Latter involved travel to Chicago. Reconnected with UMD peeps.
- Advised one student doing an internship for credit, and another taking a course by tutorial.
- Retooling of Programming Language Design course.
- ABET stuff (don't ask.)
- Read all 3 books by Stieg Larsson. Highly recommended.
- Got netbook. How did I live without one of these? Lenovo X61 notebook now seems hopelessly large and cumbersome.
- Rode bike many times. Planning to use as main commuting vehicle during school year when weather cooperates.
- Reviewed a book.
- Attended CCSCE 2010 organizational meeting.
- Lunch at Victory Brewing Company twice with Kate to celebrate aniversaries.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
What I Did This Summer
It's been a busy summer. Things that I did (in absolutely no order):