Thursday, July 5, 2007

Can't run Visual Studio 2005 within VirtualBox?

I tried today to get VirtualBox set up on my Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) box at work. WinXP installed without a hitch, but it refuses to install Visual Studio 2005, which is the only reason I wanted to run WinXP in the first place!

Here's a screenshot of the error


Aiiighhh!

A google search on the text of the error message returned no hits. The Properties menu says I have 14.6 GB of space left on my (virtual) hard drive, and Linux has plenty of real disk space left, so I don't think that's the problem.

VirtualBox seems like an excellent product, and responsiveness within the guest OS seems quite snappy, so my current state of affairs is disappointing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember trying to install Visual Studio in Windows XP Guest on my Ubuntu Laptop. It didn't work, and I got the same error. I've been trying to figure out the error since then, because I am very satisfied with VirtualBox, and have been able to run a ton of software (Even DOOM 3, which is my biggest resource hog) without a hitch. Why Visual Studio? If I find something, I'll let you know.